Monday, January 5, 2009

The Planting

Rains came with the New Year and they were severely needed! Now is the time to plant two of the Paraguayan cash crops, Corn and Beans. I baught the seeds from my host dad, straight out of the field and his current crops.

The corn I planted in a less traditional manner, almost as one would plant lettuce. My thinking behind this was that with the given problems of chickens eating seeds and the lack of soil nutrients it would be easier to thin out rather than re plant. After the planting I applied thick layers of mulch to either side of the rows but ran out and have to wait for my next batch of mulch to mature.

I also planted three rows of Macuna, an AV with my current two lines of Mandioca left over from the previous Volunteer. Hopefully this will give the lines an added boost in the end of there lifetime as they will be ready to harvest in three months.

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment