Monday, March 16, 2009

Garden Series Winding Down

I wouldn't classify this as a lessons learned post in regards to my first charlas but it is moving towards that direction. Tomorrow is the final presentation of the 4 part series and I am going to focus on the cooking side of the family's relationship to a healthy garden.

Last meeting was an absolute blast and we successfully made a "veneno casero" (organic herbacide and pesticide) to combat the problem our seedlings were having with fungus in the soil. The recipe was very simple:

- 4 Heads of mashed fresh garlic
- 10 Liters of water

- Stir it up, put a lid on it, and let it sit for 5 days.

Tomorrow marks the 5th day and the seƱoras will be applying the veneno casero and then taking their almacigo home with them as a conclusion to the series. I have also working in two gardens of members who signed up to have me come and work with them on whatever needs their garden has.

As a part of this mini-project, I have hosted the presentations at my house and used my garden to exemplify certain methods that I presented. Seen below is a picture of my garden in the beginning phase, just starting the fence. I must admit that this is a bit out of date and promise that I will bring more up to date photos shortly. In my own almacigo I have an assortment of vegetables sprouting. They include:
- Khale
- Pumpkin
- Squash
- Lettuce
- Arugula
- Four types of Peppers
- Cucumber
- Onion
- Tomatos (6 Varieties!! Thank you Sarah and Makala!)
- Mint
- Oregano
- Yerba Buena
- Yerba Mate
- Sunflower
- Thyme
- Pidgeon Pea

And anyone that wants to send me seeds...

Nathan H. Forster
4470 La Comena
Paraguay, South America

1 comment:

  1. Yo, Nate!-
    Regarding your root examination of your cannavalia...a lack of nodules indicates a lack of the presence of certain microbes in the soil that are needed to fix nitrogen by attaching themselves to the roots. It is this symbiotic relationship between the microbes and the plant that enables the plant to fix nitrogen and produce the nodules. So, you have those microbes in one part of your plot, but not so much in the other...and as a result, more nitrogen fixation by your cannavalia in one but not in the other. Perhaps I am merely arguing over semantics. It wouldn't be the first time. I'm really just procrastinating. I hate doing taxes. Anyhoo, nice demo plot! I am hoping for your rain. -Christina

    ReplyDelete